Queen Street Mall, Brisbane
Check out their website by clicking here.
As I live in the city, the Event Myer Centre cinemas can be officially called my "local". You can find me there twice a week on average. The only Myer Centre cinemas were located on the ground floor and were quite frankly, a dump. Thankfully, they moved to the top of the Centre in 2002 and received a much needed freshen up. There are 8 screens in total and cinema 7 (Vmax) usually shows the week's most popular film.
Movie Quality & Range - 6 out of 10
With the closure of the Regent Cinema in 2010 (which was a tragedy), the Myer Centre has picked up a wider mix of releases. It's mostly blockbusters but a few smaller releases get a chance. The cinema is also showing Bollywood movies on a regular basis.
Cinema Quality & Service - 7 out of 10
I don't like Event cinemas as they usually have just one queue - for both ticket buyer and snack buyers. That can make it frustrating if you just want a ticket (no snacks) and you're stuck behind someone who orders 3 large popcorns and a frozen coke. I've been stuck in some very long queues at the Myer Centre cinemas over the years.
That said, I find the staff very friendly. I'm sure they've got better things to do (as we all do) but they put on a happy face and don't mind engaging in conversation. Thumbs up in that regard.
Price - 4 out of 10
The following pricing information is current as at June 2012.
| || ||Adult||Conce- |
| ||Regular Vmax ||$19.50||$16.50||$15.00|
| ||Regular 3D||$19.50||$16.50||$15.00|
| ||Regular 3D Vmax ||$22.50||$19.50||$18.00|
| ||Tuesday Vmax ||$11.00||$11.00||$11.00|
| ||Tuesday 3D ||$11.00||$11.00||$11.00|
| ||Tuesday 3D Vmax ||$14.00||$14.00||$14.00|
· Tickets can be bought on-line through the Event Cinemas website for an additional $1.10 fee.
· The great thing with booking on-line is that you can reserve a specific seat. This prevents you having to get to the cinema extra early so as not to be stuck in the front row.
· You can get some pretty good deals on Tuesdays but aside from that, there are no discounts available.
· Event Cinemas are on a par with Hoyts as the most expensive cinemas in Brisbane so it might be best to turn up on Tuesdays or secure a discount card (which is offered from time to time).
· Yep, these are the most expensive candy bar prices in Brisbane too!
· You can join the Cinebuzz Club free of charge which can be of use if you go to the movies regularly - you get 1 free movie for every 10 you see.
· It may sound like a reasonable deal but it's not that competitve when to compare it against the great offers provided by cinemas such as the Palace and Dendy.
To check out my thoughts on other cinemas in Brisbane, click here.
All Rights Reserved. Matthew Toomey. 2012.